Health libraryBack to health library
Thai-style chicken curry
Makes 4 servings.
1 tablespoon peanut oil or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon ginger, minced (or a 1-inch piece, crushed)
1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced (about 1 clove)
1/4 cup scallions (green onions), rinsed and chopped
1 tablespoon lemongrass, minced (or the zest from 1 lemon—use a peeler to grate a thin layer of skin off a lemon)
1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
1/2 cup light coconut milk (or use a spoon to discard visible layer of fat off the top of an unshaken can of regular coconut milk and measure 1/2 cup for recipe)
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
For chicken and vegetables
1 bag (12 ounces) frozen vegetable stir-fry
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- Thaw frozen vegetables in the microwave (or place entire bag in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes). Set aside.
- For sauce, heat oil in a small saucepan on medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, scallions and lemongrass, and cook gently until tender but not brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add curry paste, and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, honey, soy sauce and fish sauce, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- In a bowl, mix cornstarch with chicken broth. Add mixture to the saucepan, and return to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Lower heat to a simmer, and add chicken strips. Simmer gently for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add thawed vegetables, and continue to cook gently with lid on until the vegetables are heated through, an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide into 4 even portions, each about 3 ounces chicken breast and 1 cup vegetables, and serve.
Tip: Delicious served over rice or Asian-style noodles (soba or udon).
Serving size: 3 ounces chicken, 1 cup vegetables. Amount per serving: 207 calories, 7g total fat (3g saturated fat), 14g carbohydrates, 23g protein, 3g dietary fiber, 249mg sodium.
Source: National Institutes of Health