Medical Assistant Apprenticeship
Earn your MA-C credential while being paid to learn!
- 12 month program administered by IN-REACH at the Davenport Clinic
- Apprentices are paid, full-time employees of Lincoln Hospital and Clinics
- All tuition and fees are paid for by Lincoln Hospital and Clinics
- No prior clinical experience required
- Complete the curriculum entirely online
The MA Apprentice is enrolled in a state registered apprenticeship program that will prepare them to become a MA-C. Apprentices are expected to work full time in clinic and log 2000 on-the-job training hours over the 12-month program. All clinical skills are taught hands-on under the guidance of a 1:1 coach. Apprentices also complete an online course comprised of textbook readings, discussion posts, skill videos, quizzes, and more, that takes an average of 10 hours per week to complete. The online curriculum must be completed during unpaid time, typically in evenings and on weekends.
The MA Apprentice starts at $18.55/hour and receives a full benefits package including medical, dental, vision, retirement with employer match, paid time off, and sick leave.
What does a MA-C do?
- Greets variety of patients and escorts to exam room; informs patient of time delays throughout visit.
- Prepares patients for provider; anticipates needs of provider to maintain efficient patient flow.
- Performs phlebotomy and laboratory procedures as directed by provider.
- Performs and documents injections and immunizations.
- Ensures exam rooms are clean, stocked, and ready for patients.
- Cleans, prepares, and sterilizes instruments.
- Assists provider with procedures, exams, and patient education.
- Obtains prescription refills under the direction and authorization of provider.
- Manages appropriate patient referrals and required documentation.
- Observes and follows required safety protocols, including handling and disposal of sharps, use of personal protective equipment, exposure to blood borne pathogens, and general safety of employees and patients.
- Answers telephones, schedules patients, and supports care team members.
- Performs other duties as assigned.